Monday 6 April 2015

The Power of Listening




Listening is undervalued. 

We are so busy doing, talking, texting, emailing, working and feeling compelled to do more because so much else is clamouring for attention. Sometimes in a conversation there are two people talking AT each other. Each is just waiting for the other to finish so they can speak. You may as well speak to a brick wall.


Sharing my story allows me to connect with you. Our heart and minds meet and we see that we are not so different from each other. We have ideas, dreams and problems in common. Deep down we are the same. The important part is being real and honest. Our real thoughts are part of us, floating out with excitement, worry, concern, humour and stories. 


When someone is sharing their story with me, it's not about my opinion or thoughts unless they are asked for. That is especially true when someone tells you they are in pain or depressed or ill. They are not asking you to fix it. Your first thought might be to offer advice, but it is more likely that they are asking you to acknowledge that you have heard and understood. They feel alone. 


Many chronically ill people feel ashamed or guilty for being ill. They feel like it's their fault. Do not add to that! Our society finds it easier to blame them for their illness or problem than to face the scary fact that accidents and illnesses happen and it is out of our control. I didn't ask to be poisoned. I didn't ask to be ill, it just happened. But I still feel guilty! 


So how about we practise listening to each other without judgement, well meant advice or fear and simply acknowledge we are all human beings with problems and concerns, hopes and dreams? I want to let you know you are not alone. Together we can help each other through the hard times and celebrate the good.


1 comment:

  1. Jane, I always say that you know how, and when, to say the right thing. I swear that you are somehow watching the daily antics that happen in my home!
    Anyway, I want you to know that you can e-mail me whenever you need or want to about anything. I am a good listener and my shoulders can take a lot of crying :) I'm not sure why you came into my life, but I'm glad you did :)
    I hope all goes well with the mandalas. I couldn't send any, but in the future, if you need anything for the yarnbombs, I should be able to help out.
    Say hello to Martin and I hope he is doing well.
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete