Monday 6 April 2015

Just Little Things



I am creating a blanket in 2015 I call Just Little Things. Each day I crochet one granny square and write a story. The colours of the square represent a story or moment I want to remember or celebrate. 

This is an extract from the Just Little Things Blanket:


6.3.2015 Day 65 of my #justlittlethingsblanket 

Yesterday I had a medical appointment and then a haircut while Martin stocked up our supplies of tea. The orange boxes reminded me of a story so orange is for possums and green for fruit!  

One night I was woken from sleep by a Ker-thump! 


And then my 2 other housemates woke too. We switched on some lights and an orange furry thing sped past down the hallway. What the hell? I was teaching up north in a remote area of farms and had learnt that life was often very different here.

Someone yelled out, "It's a possum." It was indeed a big, orange, hairy possum with shifty, big buggy eyes and street smarts, um, farm smarts. We opened the big double doors at the front of the house and tried to get it to leave by walking towards it.  

Our offer was declined; he turned and made for the kitchen. Now as cute as some possums look this one was not. He was big and stinky. And possums poo on things when chased. There was a bowl of fruit on the dining table he'd been eating and he wasn't going anywhere. 

I grabbed a tennis racquet. House mate number one had a broom and number two was holding a hockey stick with a mean look in her eye that scared the heck out of me! We advanced with a plan. Me down the left, Broom down the right and Hockey Stick down the centre. All avenues were blocked by dishevelled women in their pyjamas, brandishing sporting or cleaning equipment in hand and ready for war.  

I think the possum knew the jig was up. He turned and left the building.  

And now we knew who was taking a bite out of the fruit in the fruit bowl. Hockey stick had rampaged accusingly one morning, "Look, stop taking one bite out of the fruit and putting it back in the bowl!" And now the Broom and I were vindicated. I did not poke my tongue out. I did not ask for an apology, I just turned and went to back bed. The possum was not the only crazy thing I was living with. 


1 comment:

  1. I love that story about the possum! I only have a story about a rattlesnake!
    Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete